Am I Eligible?
At present, all three and four year olds are entitled to up to 15 hours of free childcare a week for up to 38 weeks a year, and this entitlement will continue. From September 2017, the government increased free childcare to 30 hours a week (for up to 38 weeks a year). This is part of the Childcare Act 2016. However, this increase will only be available to families who meet certain criteria.
30 Hour funding criteria from September 2019 for three and four year olds
Eligibility for the additional free entitlement will include households where:
- All parents (whether two-parent families or lone parents) are working and earning the equivalent of 16 hours a week at the National Minimum or Living Wage (includes income received from tax credits or Universal Credit) and/or:
- One/both parent/s is away on leave (parental, maternal etc.)
- One/both parent/s is on Statutory sick pay
- Parents on zero-hours contracts will be eligible, as are those who are registered as self-employed
- One parent is employed and the other parent has either: substantial caring responsibilities and/or disability; is a foster-carer with their own three- and four- year old children
- Parents who are in training will not be eligible as they can receive other Government support
- There is an income cap. If one parent's income exceeds £100K the household will not be eligible
For more information, please visit:
A Newham 30 Hour PDF flyer is available from the download tab at the bottom of this page.